VNG Testing Instructions
Testing will take approximately one hour. This test evaluates the vestibular (balance system) which is located in your inner ear. A problem in the balance system can cause abnormal eye movements called nystagmus. During the test you will be wearing goggles that will be recording these eye movements. The test is divided into three sections. The first part of the test requires you to follow lights on a light bar. During the second section you will be moving your head and body in different positions. The last section of the test we will be putting some air into your ear that may make you momentarily dizzy. Although the majority of patients feel well after the test, you may want to consider having someone accompany to the appointment.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT TEST RESTRICTIONS
1. No medication for dizziness or tranquilizers for at least 24 hours prior to testing.
2. No alcohol for 24 hours prior to testing.
3. No face makeup or MASCARA- makeup interferes with the recordings
4. No food three hours prior to testing. If you must eat, only a light snack is recommended.
5. No contact lenses. If you need to wear them to the appointment, please bring your lens case and solution.
If you have any questions feel free to call our office at 917-441-6094.